Monday, October 23, 2000

Broken Bones up the Wahzoo

Broken Bones up the Wahzoo
It was around 7:00 when Emily and I remember we had a Daddy Daughter party over at the Christ’s. We pulled dad from his bed and made him get some trunks, a towel, and the keys to the car. We arrived late, but the fun had just started so all was well. WE had some pool races, balloon toss, and sack races. After all the festivities everyone was waiting for the barbecue. Sharessa Filmore and I decided to go jump on the trampoline. We started doing flips and just jumping. I kept on yelling at dad to, “Watch me, watch me do a back flip!”. Finally I got his attention so I jumped a couple times and threw my weight backwards. Well……I sorta, kinda, over rotated. It sent me flying off the trampoline. The first pains shot through my arm as my wrist slammed against the metal surrounding the trampoline. My closed fist then went head on into the ground followed by my entire body’s weight landing on top of it. I felt horrible and excruciating pain shooting like fire up and down my arm. I pulled my arm out from under my body. IT looked like a theme parks Mr. Joe’s Wild roller coaster. It was insane. I just laid there looking at it. I was baffled. I didn’t know what to do. I then noticed that as I had fallen all sound had disagreed. I was in a void of silence. I strained to hear something, anything. I then heard Dad asking, “Meghan, are you all right, did you get the wind knocked out of you? What’s wrong?”. I then remember taking in a huge breath as it had so happened I had stopped breathing momentarily. I gasped for air as I wailed, “Daddy, daddy, I think I broke my arm!” Think, pah, there was no mistaking, my arm was messed up! Dad ran over to me, picked me up, and ran to the car. He put me in front seat, revved the engine and started to drive away when I reminded him we didn’t have Emily. He slammed on the breaks and yelled for her. She ran into the car and curiously asked,, the party isn’t over why are we lea…..OH MY GOSH!” She stared in horror at my grotesque and deformed arm. Dad drove like a maniac back home. Mabey it was just me because every slight movement made my arm fell like a thousand needles were jabbing into it. We got home and dad ran inside. Everyone came out to stare at my arm. I recall Krista blurting out, “Holy crap it looks like a roller coaster!!! Oh….uhh…….yeah…are you okay? Then Michael started cracking jokes and I started laughing which didn’t set well with me so I threw up out the window. Mom followed by Dad then came rushing out with a glass of water and vanished Motrin. She went to hand me the Motrin and realized she had taken it herself. Astonished she got in the car with dad and we headed for the hospital. They put me in a wheel chair and hurried me into a room. They helped me out of my wet, cold, and very uncomfortable swim suit and into a warm hospital suit. The nurses or whatever came in and I just laid there hearing jumbled sounds come from Mom, Dad, and the nurse of doctor person. I did happen to hear Dad, “I can’t believe this! I’ve broken six arms and I didn’t remember Ice! Ice!”. The nurse person then came up to me with some things and I didn’t pay attention till she was inches away from my arm with a needle/knife thing. I sat up and started panicking. She explained she was only giving me an Iv. I went into hysterics. I thought an Iv was a very long tube they shoved up and into your arm. I didn’t know they just taped it on. One nurse help me down while the other jabbed, no joking, 11 times at my arm trying to get the Iv in. I wanted to beat her! When it was finally in they shot me up with 4 or 5 different drugs and I was sittin’ pretty. I was then wheeled into a room where I was asked to count to 10. I got to 4 and I was out of it. Much later I awoke in a dark room. It had a yellowish tint to it. I looked around and noticed I was having x-rays. All the drugs had worn off, my arm was set, and all the numbness that had dulled the pain of my wrist had disappeared. I cried out in anguish as the nurse moved my arm around taking x-rays. All of my senses where whetted. I felt every single movement and received vast amounts of pain from them. I must have passed out because I then awoke in a bright room with a cast and Wendy next to me with balloons and a stuffed animal. I was brought home that afternoon. The next couple days I just laid in bed happy as a clam floating in and out of dreams with heavy doses of vicadin. After this ordeal I received lots of sympathy, many visits to a gone doctor, and a not so normal looking arm. It was an experience I could have passed up, but hey….What doesn’t kill yah, makes yah stronger!
(Meghan Nielsen, Christmas 2000)
12/22/00

1 comment:

  1. I remember when I broke my arm you helped me learn to write left handed. I never got to be very good but you would crack jokes all the time so it didn't matter.

    ReplyDelete

 
# Google Analytics Tracker # End Google Analytics Tracker