Sunday, October 22, 2006

Snow Cones, Funnel Cakes, and Snickers on a Stick

Snow Cones, Funnel Cakes, and Snickers on a Stick
I like sweet things. The more sugar in them, the better. Aaron and I went to Portland’s Saturday Market one Saturday. It’s this neat place where lots of hippy vendors are selling crazy hippy things like blankets for your dog that are made out of recycled pop bottles. I was 5 or 6 months pregnant with Arwen and really thirsty. But I didn’t just want a drink, I wanted a snow cone. We found a vendor selling them. Yea!! He was a no speaka, but I did manage to convey to him what I wanted. He then proceeded to take his hands…his ungloved and I’m sure unwashed hands (I didn’t see him wash them!!) and scoop out some ice and shove it in the snow cone cup. Then he sprayed the yellow flavoring on (probably yellow to disguise the gunk that came off his hands) and handed it to me. I kind of looked at it, then him, then Aaron with a quizzical look on my face. I took a bite. Tasted fine to me! For some crazy reason Aaron wouldn’t eat any. Go figure!!
Here in Portland we have what is called an Elephant Ear. It a big deep fried piece of bread with cinnamon sugar on top. They’re pretty good, but not as good as a funnel cake. Aaron and I went back to Denver and went to a Colorado Rockies game with my Dad. My Sister and I really wanted a funnel cake. Only one vendor sells them there and we managed to find where! We asked for a funnel cake and the guy working behind the counter pulled one out of the warmer and handed it to us. We paid for it and started to walk back to our seats. My sister took a bite on the way back. I heard this loud CRUCNH. I wanted some too. I took a bite…it was as hard as a rock! We looked at each other and Kelly was like, “I think it’s a little overdone.” I put two and two together and started to laugh. “It’s the display funnel cake!!” I couldn’t stop laughing! We went back to ask for a real one. We told a girl what happened and she was appalled that we ate their month old funnel cake. We got another one with complimentary ice cream all over it. In case you ever have the opportunity to have ice cream on your funnel cake, just say no.
The Washington County Fair is pretty fun. We love to go and look at all the prize winning animals and let the kids ride the rides. Of course you can’t go the fair without getting something yummy. We saw a stand that sold deep fried treats. I had heard about this and really wanted to try one. I almost ordered a deep fried Twinkie, but opted for a deep fried Snickers Bar instead. Now, if I was observant like Aaron, maybe I would have really enjoyed my deep fried treat. I asked for the Snickers Bar and the guy was about to deep fry one when the “manager” pointed to the one in the warmer. I didn’t notice any of this. Too bad, because the Snickers Bar in the warmer was soggy. It wasn’t even nice and crunchy like something deep fried should be. Yet, we finished it up! I guess I like sweet things so much, I’m even willing to eat things most humans would not!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
# Google Analytics Tracker # End Google Analytics Tracker